Travel Insurance When You Have a Disability
Having a disability shouldn’t impact on your right to travel. Under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), airports and airlines are bound by legislation to provide services for anyone with a disability.
Of course, to ensure a stress-free holiday, it’s important that you get comprehensive disability travel insurance. AllClear can offer specialist disability travel insurance, which means you can go overseas knowing that you’re fully covered should the unexpected occur.
The Key Benefits You Can Get
- All medical conditions considered
- 24-hour medical emergency helpline
- Up to unlimited medical emergency expenses cover
- Up to $1,000 “medical inconvenience” benefit for when you are in hospital as an in-patient
- No age limit on AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies
- Cancellation cover up to unlimited costs
- Personal belongings cover of up to $7,000
We’re pleased to state all these figures are per person and per trip.
Get Quotes in Just 3 Easy Steps
Travel Destinations If You Have Mobility Issues
To make your travels as straightforward as possible, choose a destination that is accessible to all. Regulations are changing globally, which means there has been an increase in attraction, accommodation providers and transport services all beginning or continuing to accommodate accessible tourism.
We’ve written a list of our favourite accessible holiday destinations:
1. London, England. Have you ever heard Samuel Jackon’s quote ‘when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life’? There are a fantastic amount of sights to see and activities to do in London. Whether you have a passion for history, architecture, art, dining experiences or fancy bars, London has it all! The city continues to become more accessible; from the science museum (recognized in 2010 as one of the UK’s best accessible visitor attractions), the Tate Modern (which has touch tours, audio guides and a sign language multimedia guide) and the London eye (accessible, however, wheelchair number limits apply). While the underground isn’t 100% accessible, forward planning will allow you to get around London well. Using the Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk) site, you can use the online journey planner to filter your search according to accessibility requirements, and they have insightful material about particular modes of transport. The streets of London have wheelchair ramps and almost all hotels have at least 5% of their rooms dedicated to guests with a disability.
2. Bali, Indonesia. Bali is one of Australian’s most loved destinations with 800,000 tourists visiting every year. The tourism market has, therefore, become more accessible to all tourists. Tanah Lot Temple is the most famous temple in Bali, built by fishermen and legend has it, has been protected by sea snakes for hundreds of years. The temple is accessible with walkways in the park that are wide enough for a wheelchair to traverse comfortably. It’s a lovely place to enjoy a taste of the beauty of Bali.
3. Warsaw, Poland. Warsaw’s infamous history alone is a great enough reason to travel to the city! Warsaw Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which lay in ruins in 1944 after the intense bombing campaigns during World War II and the Warsaw Uprising. You can take a lift to see an exquisite view of the city in the Palace of Culture and Science. Warsaw has been recognised as the most disabled-friendly city in Europe for 2020. Awarded by the European Commission, Warsaw has had great success with their programmes to remove barriers in the city by replacing old infrastructure with new accessible ones. Pathways, bicycle lanes and pavements across have undergone changes to become more accessible. Also, buses, trams and metro have been renovated to meet accessibility standards.
Does travel insurance cover mobility aids?
AllClear’s policies provide cover for mobility aids including wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, walking frame walking sticks or crutches.
- Gold: $500 Mobility Aids Cover
- Gold Plus: $2500 Mobility Aids Cover
- Traveller: $500 Mobility Aids Cover
This is only a summary of cover. To see the full terms and conditions of covering medical equipment, read our policy wordings here: https://www.allcleartravel.com.au/policy-wordings/
What is the age limit on AllClear policies?
We’re pleased to say our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies have no age limits.
What will affect the price of your policy?
We calculate the premiums you’re displayed using multiple factors. These include age, trip duration, destination and pre-existing medical conditions.