Comprehensive mental illness travel insurance
When we think about medical conditions, the first thing that comes to mind for many is physical health. Thankfully times are changing, as increasingly everyone recognises the importance of mental health to our well being. We can offer mental illness travel insurance.
The advantages of mental illness travel insurance
- All mental illness conditions considered
- 24-hour medical emergency helpline
- Up to unlimited medical emergency expenses cover
- Up to $1,000 Medical inconvenience benefit for when you are in hospital as an in-patient
- No age limit
- Cancellation cover up to unlimited costs
- Personal belongings cover of up to $7,000
We’re pleased to state all these figures are per person and per trip.
Frequently asked questions
Do you always need to declare your mental illness?
Yes, even if you no longer require treatment. However, please rest assured that during the Medical section of you quote, you will be able to accurately reflect your current health by answering a few short questions.
What if you need to declare more than one mental illness?
Declaring more than one mental illness is completely fine! We recognise that mental illness is incredibly broad and varies in its symptoms and severities.
What happens if your state of health changes after buying your policy?
If you require any unexpected medical treatment while you are abroad, for a new or pre-existing condition, you are entitled to the full benefits of cover.
If there is a change in your state of health before you travel, you must tell us at the earliest opportunity. To change your original medical declaration, please contact us and we’ll be happy to make any adjustments.
You should also note that in some instances an additional premium may be applied to your policy to keep your cover in place.
Is your travelling partner covered for cancellation if you need to come home early?
We’re pleased to say that any other travelling member listed on your policy is covered for cancellation if you need to come home early.
How is your premium calculated?
Your premium is primarily based upon your destination, trip duration, age and pre-existing medical conditions. Importantly, the level of benefits being offered to you as well. That’s why we offer a wide range of policies to suit your needs. What’s more, we are continually reviewing and analysing all of our claims data to ensure the premiums we offer are fair and accurate.
Our 3 step quote process
Tips when travelling with a mental illness
- If you need any support while abroad, tell people about your medical condition. Mental illness is more prevalent than you might think, for example, 45% of 16-85 year olds in Australia will experience a mental disorder in their life time. Don’t forget your Medical Emergency Assistance Team is available 24 hours a day – 7 days a week, whenever you need them.
- Avoid triggers by planning ahead.
- Are you unsure of your diagnosis? Make sure you check with your doctor before getting your travel insurance – it is vital that your mental illness is listed correctly.
- Embrace your travel experience! Many studies have confirmed travel can benefit our mental health. A study by Cornell University even discovered that we get more happiness from anticipating a travel experience than buying a new possession. Get your mental illness travel insurance in place early, so that you can focus on having the best trip!