Travel Insurance for Seniors over 65
The culture around travel has transformed in the last 5 years – there has been an 80% increase in 65-74 year old’s travelling overseas … today, seniors in Australia are ticking off ‘bucket list destinations’ all over the world!
However, many travel insurance providers have an upper age limit of 65 and will not cover pre-existing medical conditions. At AllClear, we believe everyone has the right to travel. That’s why we offer products that have no age limits, and we consider all medical conditions.
Why Should over 65s Consider Travel Insurance?
While you’re able to organise almost every aspect of your trip, we’re here to cover unforeseen events or accidents that might occur before or during your trip.
Without comprehensive medical travel insurance, you could be liable for very large medical costs if you fall ill (over $44,250 in some areas of Europe), travel costs of emergency travel (approximately $160,000 for an air ambulance from the USA) or other costs including trip cancellations and lost luggage. If any of these issues occur to you on your travels, both you and your wallet will be extremely grateful to have bought travel insurance!
Different Types of Cover Available for Travel Insurance for over 65s
The decision of what type of insurance policy to buy as an individual, couple or group, will depend on how often you’re planning to travel. We can help you choose a tailored policy to suit your needs during the quote process.
Unless you’re travelling multiple times in a year, our single trip travel insurance will be cheaper. Particularly, if you’re travelling to a more expensive region just once. If you’re travelling for a long period of time, such as 90 days, a single trip policy will nearly always be the best option.
If you have plans to travel more than once within the year then an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy could prove to be more cost-effective and convenient for you. An annual multi-trip policy allows you to travel as many times as you want within 12 months, as long as your trips start and end in your home country.
For our annual multi-trip policy, it is extremely important that you keep us updated if you have any changes to your medical condition or your medication.
The Main Benefits of Cover
- All medical conditions considered
- 24-hour medical emergency helpline
- Up to unlimited medical emergency expenses cover
- Up to $1,000 “medical inconvenience” benefit for when you are in hospital as an in-patient
- No age limit on AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies
- Cancellation cover up to unlimited costs
- Personal belongings cover of up to $7,000
We’re pleased to state all these figures are per person and per trip.
How to Compare Travel Insurance for over 65s.
When comparing policies, you should look beyond the prices and pay close attention to what you’re actually covered for.
While cheaper policies may seem attractive, it can be a false economy. We recommend that you check the cover levels and the excesses that you may need to pay if you need to make a claim.
Here are some questions that might want to consider when comparing different travel insurance policies.
Will you be bringing expensive personal belongings?
Check the baggage cover limits.
Will you be travelling with valuable items?
Check the personal property cover limits.
Are you going to be covered if you cancel your trip?
Check your holiday price is not more expensive than the standard payout offered.
Will all medical bills be covered for?
Check the maximum amount you can claim for emergency medical treatment bills.
How Much Will Travel Insurance for over 65s Cost?
The price of your quote is based on a number of factors: the likelihood of your medical conditions requiring treatment while overseas; the health care costs of your chosen destination; its distance from Australia; and your age. But importantly, the level of cover being offered to you as well.
Travel Insurance for over 65s with Pre-Existing Conditions.
At AllClear, we strongly believe that having a medical condition shouldn’t restrict your ability to travel. As long as your doctor has confirmed that you’re fit for travel, our policies will consider all pre-existing medical conditions, giving you the assurance that you can continue enjoying trips for years to come!
In order to be fully protected, you must declare all pre-existing conditions, which means we will ask you some medical questions as part of the screening process.
You can quote online or on the phone with one of our trained industry experts, who can guide you through the process at 1800-785870.
3 Top Tips for over 65s Travel Insurance
- Buy insurance as soon as you book your trip! Your cancellation cover starts as soon as your policy does. That way you know you’ll be covered if you need to cancel your trip because you fall ill.
- Keep us informed! If your health changes in any way, you will need to let us know so you remain fully covered during your trip. At any point, you can call us at +61 2 9333 3923 and one of our consultants will be able to amend your policy.
- Bring your documents! Keep a record of the name of any medication you take and the dosage, along with a copy of your Travel Insurance policy. This will speed up the process of getting help and making a claim just in case you’re taken ill while you are overseas. If you need us to send you another copy of your policy documentation call 1800-785870.